Steps of Change - Basics of Innovation
- Decide to Plan for Change: Awareness
- Real vs. Perceived Need: Interest
- Reason to Implement: Advantage
- Mission of the Organization: Evaluation
- Plan the Program: Trial
- Review What Is Done Now: Observability
- The Gap: Compatibility
- Contingency: Pre-Adoption
- Implementation: Adoption
I. Decide to Plan for Change: Awareness
- Key Administrators
- Super Leader
- Understand Elements of Change
- Flexible Environment
II. Real vs Perceived Need: Interest
- Identify the Recipient
- Why have the program?
- Who wants the program?
- Who needs the program?
- The Competition: Who Else Is Doing It?
- Is the Program Really Needed?
III. Understand Reason to Implement: Advantage
- Value to the Organization
- Political Issues Involved
- Technology or Need Driven
- Competition Driven for Competition's Sake
- Philosophy of the Program
- Culture of the Organization
- Affects programs
- Political issues involved
IV. Mission of the Organization: Evaluation
- Does the Programming Fit the Organization's
- Goals & Objectives
- Quality standards
- How Will This Help the Organization? --
If it won't, don't!
- Driving Force to Market the Program?
- Will it Make Money?
- Will It Be Self Sufficient?
- How Large Do We Want It to Become?
- What Is the Return on the Investment?
V. Plan the Program: Trial
- Time - Take the Time to Plan
- People - Faculty/Staff
- Space, Facilities, Equipment
- Production Capability
- Money - Now & Later
VI. Review What Is Done Now: Observability
- Will Distance Learning Duplicate Services?
Classes? Staff? Departments?
- Is the Organization Working Well In Training
- Does the Organization Support Education
& Training? Change? Technology?
- Do We Have Enough People and Support to
- What Are the Organization's Strengths?
VII. The Gap: Compatibility
- How Far to Go to Have a Successful Program
- Will the Organization Be Able to Change
- Subtract the Difference Between.... Where
We Want to Be - Where We Are Now = The Gap
- Can We Do It?
VIII. Contingency: Pre-adoption
- Trial & Pilot
- Client Needs
- Institutional Perceptions
- Success vs. Failure:
- What happens if it won't, doesn't, or
- Is different?
- Is better, can, and does?
IX. Implementation: Adoption
(Commit to Ongoing Process)
- Lead People
- Design Programming
- Train in Production Techniques & Technology
- Faculty Support
- Dollar Support
- On-going Growth
- Continued Resources - Finance the Program
- Plan for Growth
- Plan for Change
- Believe in the Program
- Garnish Support Again and Again
- Evaluate the Program
Conclusion: Follow All Steps of Change & All Conditions of
from Pearson, 1989